The Aboriginal Steering Committee was established to guide and shape development of the NWT Water Stewardship Strategy and continues to provide important and ongoing guidance in implementing the strategy.
Input from the committee helps ensure the strategy represents the values of Indigenous governments and people, and respects Aboriginal and treaty rights and settled land claim and self-government agreements.
The Aboriginal Steering Committee meets regularly and includes representatives from:
- Acho Dene Koe First Nation
- Dehcho First Nations
- Gwich’in Tribal Council
- Inuvialuit Regional Corporation
- Kátlodééche First Nation
- Nahanni Butte Dene Band
- North Slave Métis Alliance
- Northwest Territory Métis Nation
- Sahtu Secretariat Incorporated
- Salt River First Nation
- Tłı̨chǫ Government
- Akaitcho Territory Government (observer)
- Environment and Natural Resources (GNWT)